I can't believe Christmas is almost here! I feel like December has flown by and now I am scrambling a the last minute to get everything done. So if you are anything like me, and you are still looking for the perfect holiday treat, these cupcakes are both easy and delicious. They also happen to be really really cute.
That being said, I hope everyone has a great holiday! If you need me over the next couple of days, I will be stuffing my face with inappropriate amounts while also avoiding questions about why I am STILL single.
For those of you who are new to the single life and are feeling a little anxious about your families asking you a bunch of questions...no need to worry. I am a professional single lifer and I am going to give you a few tips on how to handle a family interrogation this weekend. When they ask you why you are single here are your options....
- Tell them food is the only thing that really makes you happy.
- Say you are waiting for the new year to start dating because you didn't want to spend money on holiday gifts.
- Tell them that you have seen this guy a couple of times now, and you think it's going well...but you are waiting to see where things are going. Just don't tell them you are actually talking about the pizza delivery man.
- Literally run away when anyone starts to ask you about your dating life.
- Play dead. It works every single time.
You are welcome. Happy Holidays!
Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Candy Cane Frosting
- 1/2 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Pink food coloring
- Mini Candy Canes
for the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and place cupcake liners into cupcake pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- On low speed add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla.
- Once everything is combined beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
for the frosting:
- In a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar, milk and peppermint on a low speed until everything is combined.
- Add a few drops of pink food coloring. Turn the mixer on a high speed and mis until the frosting is light and fluffy.
Makes 24 cupcakes.