Even though I am a sweet person, there is something to be said for a quality sweet and salty combo. These cookies are proof. Soft chocolate chip cookies loaded with salty pretzel bits and stuffed with Nutella. I don't know about you...but in my book that is pretty close to perfection.
I may be a little biased though because I have a sick obsession with Nutella. When I studied abroad in Italy, Nutella had not made its way over to the United States yet. And let's just say I took FULL advantage of having unlimited access to the stuff. I was eating so much of it, my teacher actually called me Nutella Girl.
Now that could be due to the fact that he was old, crazy and just couldn't remember my name, but that is here nor there. The important thing to note is that Nutella has a special place in my heart.
So special, that when my EXTRA LARGE jar of Nutella got confiscated at the airport on my way home...I cried. Seriously...I actually cried. It was very upsetting. And what kind of idiot considers an unopened jar of Nutella a threatening liquid?! This very mean man in the Rome airport. That's who.
Luckily, people in the United States finally realized they were missing out on true greatness. So now, Nutella is available in almost every grocery store. And now you can stuff the gooey goodness in these perfect sweet and salty cookies!
Stuffed Nutella Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies
- 2 cups flour + 2 tbs. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted and cooled to just warm
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pretzels
- 30 small pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and prepare a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Use two spoons to spoon out about 1 teaspoon of Nutella onto parchment paper. Repeat 25 times. Place in the freezer (at least 20 minutes).
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt with a whisk and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on medium speed, beat melted butter and both sugars until well combined. the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine melted butter and both sugars (on medium speed) until well combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and chopped pretzels.
- Using a medium scoop to scoop out cookie dough ball. Using the palm of your hard flatten the ball.
- Place a frozen ball of Nutella in the middle.
- Start at the edges of the dough circle and scrunch dough around the Nutella to completely cover it.
- Roll into a ball and place a pretzel on top.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheets.