In honor of the upcoming holiday, this week’s post is going to be all about love. I am not talking about the traditional Valentine’s Day love, but a love so great that it could not possibly fit into a 24 hour period. It is a powerful love. It is an intoxicating love. It is a love so consuming that when you are in its presence, nothing else matters. I am talking about my love for banana cake. No…not banana bread and not a banana muffin – just pure, delicious, lick the pan it’s so good, banana cake. It is truly something special. Unlike a lot of guys in my life, this cake has never let me down. So get ready, I am going to share my love.
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2- 3 bananas)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 tsp baking soda
- 5 tbs buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 6 oz cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
for the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease three 6" (or two 9") cake pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking soda and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then add vanilla extract.
- In a separate small bowl, mash 1 cup of bananas. Once bananas are mashed, add them to the sugar mixture and mix until just combined.
- On low speed alternatively add flour mixture and buttermilk until just combined (starting and ending with flour mixture). Do not over mix!
- Evenly divide batter between greased pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the center of the cake clean.
- Let pans cool on top of a cooling rack.
for the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, using and electric mixer, whip together butter and cream cheese until pale and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add powdered sugar and beat at high speed until smooth (about 5 minutes).