Pie Crust can be a little tricky...but once you get the hang of it, you will be set for life. This Pie Crust recipe is super easy to follow, and is great for both sweet and savory fillings.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbs cold shortening
- 3 tbs cold water
- 3 tbs cold milk
- Combine flour, salt and sugar with a light whisk.
- Add the shortening. With a dough blender or your hands, work the shortening into the dry ingredients until it is in pea-size pieces.
- Add cold water and milk 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and the dough comes together.
- Gather dough into a ball and then shape it into a flattened round on a floured surface.
- Roll pie crust into a circle 2 inches larger than the upside down pie plate.
- Fold crust into fourths and place into pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate.
Now that you have the pie crust down, it is time to get fancy. Here are three easy ways to decorate your crust and make your pie look that much more amazing.
To make a pinched edge, line pie plate with pie dough and trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Using the thumb and forefinger of one hand, pinch a small piece of dough while also pushing with the thumb of the other hand. Continue around crust.
Cookie Cutter Method
To make a cookie cutter edge, line pie plate with pie dough and trim all overhang. Collect all overhang and roll out extra dough to 1/4 inch thick. Use a cookie cutter to make designs and attach them with a small dab of water. Continue around crust.
To make a forked edge, line pie plate with pie dough and trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Using the back of the fork, gently press lines into the edge of the dough. Continue around crust.