I have decided to dedicate November to all things pie. It seems appropriate since Thanksgiving dessert tables are typically centered around a delicate pecan or a delicious pumpkin. But this year, we are going to take things up a notch. We are going to give you something that will blow the competition away. We call it the Extreme Pumpkin Pie. We started with a basic pumpkin pie recipe, and dressed it up with a sweet and crunchy gingersnap crust and then to top it all off we added a decadent cream cheese swirl topping.
Extreme Pumpkin Pie
- 6 tbs. melted butter
- 2 1/4 cups gingersnap crumbs
Pumpkin Pie Base
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1 12oz. can evaporated milk
- 1 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
Cream Cheese Swirl
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
for the crust:
- In a food processor, place gingersnaps and mix on high speed until they become small crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, mix gingersnap crumbs and melted butter. Mix until all the crumbs are coated in the butter.
- Cover the bottom and sides of the pie plate with crumb mixture.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
for the pumpkin base:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves and set aside
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs and pumpkin puree.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated.
- Once everything is mixed together, gradually add evaporated milk and mix until incorporated completely.
- Add pumpkin base to baked pie crust.
for the cream cheese swirl:
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add corn syrup and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Place cream cheese mixture in a pipping bag and make swirling patterns on top of the pumpkin base.
- Bake pie for 35-40 minutes.